Monday, January 30, 2012

Jon's misfortunes in Malawi

Swollen, smashed thumb
I have thoroughly loved Malawi, but I'm not so sure the feeling is reciprocal.  Since coming to Malawi I have suffered one thing after another.  On Chizumulu I started feeling a sore throat.  We moved to Likoma and things started.  I tried riding a board like a surf board that had a spot for my rump and straps for my feet so I could sit while I paddled.  This was hard.  Not even one minute in I was thrown by a wave and put my hand down as I was falling.  There I smashed my thumb on some rocks.  The thumb became swollen and I might still lose half of the nail. 
Not long after this the sore throat developed into a cold.  A cold in the summer is not fun.  I am still recovering from this.  After the cold was confirmed I woke up one morning and had spider bites on my neck.  We killed the spider and I woke up with more bites the next morning.  Thankfully the third morning revealed no more bites.
Spider bites
The next thing I noticed was a rash in Cape Maclear.  It was on my back and most likely from not changing into fresh clothes frequently enough with the hot, humid weather.  This was minor and was fixed with a shower and a change of clothes.
On a matola ride between Cape Maclear and Liwonde I stood up so someone could take their tin roofing out of the back of the truck and they pulled it across my toes.  I had cuts on one big toe and two large cuts on the other.  They were gushing blood and I had to clean them and tape them, holding up the truck.  I sat in pain the rest of the rides and still struggle to walk without a limp as they heal.
Liwonde got me with one of the meals I ate at the lodge.  I started to feel bad two days ago and then yesterday it became worse and worse.  I took a pill that we have for just such an occasion and struggled through a painful night as I was nauseous and sweating through the night.  My fears that I might have malaria (from the stomach pain, nausea, aching, and fever) were relieved when I woke up feeling decent this morning and had an appetite.
Hopefully Zambia will be nicer.

No comments:

Post a Comment